Tuesday, March 09, 2010

I hate being poor

Remember that little Rav4 that I love? She's sick. :( I took the car into the dealership for an oil change in mid February, and mentioned when I was there, that the car doesn't want to accelerate sometimes. It clunks, it hesitates, etc. They took it on a test drive, but nothing happened. They ran a basic test on the transmission and said it was fine. Ok...great!

It behaved itself for 3 weeks or so before it started doing it again. This time, I took it to Midas and asked if they had any idea on what it could be. They said not really, take it back and ask if there are any recalls I don't know about. I researched it online instead and found a Technical Service Bulletin regarding a transmission component called the Engine Control Module or Unit, ECM or ECU, that is faulty in '01-'03 Rav4's. Greeeeaaat. I spent the rest of Sunday in tears.

Today, I drove it in for it's Annual Safety and Emissions tests, which ironically, it passed just fine. (And for free...covered under warranty! Happy surprise there.) Then, I took it to the Larry H. Miller Toyota Dealership, where I took it on a test drive with a techician. Luckily, the car did it's thing for him. He was aware I knew about the TSB, and agreed that was probably what it was. Within half an hour, I had it diagnosed, and found out...it's a $1135 part. *GASP BIG STARE!* Again, I'm quite lucky, because it will covered under my extended warranty with just a $100 deductible. Whew!

I don't have the money to pay for a new transmission, I don't have the money to pay the $100 for that matter...but that will be tons easier to come up with than the $1135. I also have the $139.50 to pay in the registration fee due at the end of the month. AND I'm STILL waiting on my state tax refund.

I filed my taxes on Feb. 10. I had the Federal return on Feb. 18. Still waiting on the State. I called the tax place, and they told me the State ran out of money and had to refinance! WHAT!?!?!? She told me to call back in 10 days and check in again if I hadn't recieved it. That's in 4 days. I'm really counting on that money...it was supposed to be to pay off my credit card, but it looks like it'll be going toward the car if I get it in time, but more likely, on the credit card to pay for a tiny portion of what I'll owe VISA at the end of this month. Blah.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home